Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Stopping By The Woods . . .

it was a glorious blue sky morning with
temperatures in the fifties
as snickers and I took off for our walk

it wasn't snowing
and it wasn't evening

words from long ago
rang in my ears


 a bed of pine needles
frosty
thawing


 stopping by the woods on a snowy evening

whose woods these are I think I know.
his house is in the village though
he will not see me stopping here
to watch his woods fill up with snow

my little horse must think it queer
to stop without a farmhouse near
between the woods and frozen lake
the darkest evening of the year

he gives his harness bells a shake
to ask if there is some mistake
the only other sound's the sweep
of easy wind and downy flake 

the woods are lovely, dark and deep
but I have promises to keep
and miles to go before I sleep
and miles to go before I sleep
 
1874–1963
Robert Frost



 








trails and paths
twists and turns
fresh crisp air 
joy

 the road toward home



miles to go before we sleep
miles to go before we sleep

tonight the snow arrives
January12, 2012

5 comments:

Jill said...

This was so beautiful...the pictures, the prose by Robert Frost and your lown lovely prose. You have a lovely place to walk!

TexWisGirl said...

love the sunlight streaming thru the trees. good luck with the snow!

Barb said...

Yesterday was so gorgeous. Hard to believe it was so springlike in January. Writing this as I look out at the snow falling....such a contrast from the past two days..

Lovely post, my friend.

24 Corners said...

Thank you for your wonderful comment Lynne...I'm over the moon about the soup!! :)
Frosts poem fits your ramble perfectly. We actually had our first snow today...it's lovely!
Continued good wishes for the New Year!
xo J~

koralee said...

Our snow has come too...I love it!!! Your images are beautiful...a walk in the woods will fix anything...pure joy. xoxoox Love your sweet blog.