Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

More Working It . . .

cell phone yellow cheer 
I stayed busy this past weekend
laying chocolate brown mulch
along the north side of our house
 
a few weeks ago I had laid a
cocoa bean mulch in one of the gardens
and then I was alerted to it being a danger to animals
 
the cocoa bean mulched garden
looked beautiful until the rains and humidity arrived
and now it is just a yucky slippery moldy mess
 
the weather is supposed to be rain free
and less humidity later this week
so out comes one mulch
and in goes another

and as I have stayed busy mulching
the landscaper crew says they are 
rained out
this is a very large area of pachysandra located in the front of the house
the pachysandra grows, spreads, grows and spreads some more
not the best picture but hopefully you can get the idea
early on I started filling the yard with many different ground covers
I love them until the oak leaves fall
 
this area at one time was filled with spirea bushes
quite tall, pretty when they would flower
last year I moved some of the bushes
and shaved the other bushes down
to be more even with the pachysandra
 
it really changed the look and created something very pleasant
lush green ground cover filled with pretty pink flowers
believe me, much prettier than the photo
~
I think tonight is going to be an all nighter
does that happen to you
when you are reading a good book
I am so bad
good book means nothing else gets done
really good read
~
The House Girl
Tara Conklin
 
I'll be back with you soon,
Love, Lynne


15 comments:

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

I'm glad you like the book :-)
I'm happy the rain is finally going away too. I have some sweet pea to plant tomorrow.

Bonnie said...

Lynn, I love all nighters! I haven't had the time to invest the time I would like reading. I love your gardens, beautiful!

I'm not for sure what is going on with my blog dashboard. It is only show one blog....the latest posted I suppose. Luckily I just happened on and your post was showing. Is this something new? I hit view more and nothing happened. Any ideas? Enjoy you book! Bonnie

eileeninmd said...

I love a good book, one you can not put down.. I have had many late nighters.. Love your beautiful yard and flowers. I hope your rain has stopped.. Enjoy and have a great day!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

The dashboard is finally fixed I believe. I hadn't been able to see my blog roll since Sunday. You have a beautiful yard!!

Musings from Kim K. said...

I'll have to show Chris this ground cover. I hadn't heard of that type before. Love the little sweet flowers. Thanks for sharing book title too. I'm starting to make a list of summer reads. I'm wondering if I'll actually have time to sit and read with everything we want to do this summer to the cottage! Fun times ahead!

TexWisGirl said...

oh, that last photo - what a gorgeous yard you have! good luck with the re-mulch.

Kerin said...

My goodness, I would say that you re-doing the mulch is a huge task, and certainly an accomplishment! You deserve a night of reading :)
I've not heard of that book before; I'll have to make a note of it and see about it one of these days.

Your borders are beautiful. Inspires me to get to work on our borders too. Perhaps one of these next days if it cools off a bit. Also, hoping that all the water snakes have vacated. I certainly do not want to garden with those critters as company **smile**.

K.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

It's beautiful! Your yard is just one of the prettiest I have ever seen. I love it!
And before I forget, what book are you reading? I need a good one badly.
Planted the little Japanese Maple tree today that my daughter gave me. I hope it makes it. It's from the East Coast..and was burning up out back in it's pot.
Hugs!
Mona

Anonymous said...

I so love the chocolate brown mulch, and we used to always use it. However, Hubby took it upon himself to order the cedar mulch for our current home... I don't care for it. Looks like farm yard chips for the pigs to play in.. no, really... I just don't like the cedar chips that now surround our entire house. ugh.

Lois said...

Lovely photos of your garden.

Pamela Gordon said...

I think I'd heard about that coco much a while back. Good thing to get rid of I guess. I love the yellow flowers. What are they? And the pachysandra garden is so pretty. Enjoy your book! I haven't stayed up late to read in a long time.

amanda said...

LOVE the ground cover of pachysandra.. All winter & spring I was dreaming up problem solving plans for some of our yard & landscaping areas, and had decided on going with more ground covers. I'm adding this one to my list. It sounds like it's a nice aggressive spreader!
I am the same way with a good book - I think it was last week that twice I read until the daylight started breaking and realized I had to get some quick sleep.
Enjoy your book Lynne! You deserve the reading break after all your landscape work. :)

Cheryl @ TFD said...

You have a beautiful yard, Lynne!
I love a really good book that keeps me up reading clear to The End no matter how late it gets. I'll have to check out the book you are reading.
Have a great week!

Liz said...

That was such a good book! Maybe an all night for me too! lol..Your yard looks so pretty. Cameras can only capture so much sadly. I bet it is spectacular in real life!

A Joyful Cottage said...

Beautiful ground cover, Lynne. I love it when I discover a book that I can't bear to put down. Has happened in awhile. Have a great weekend. ~ Nancy