Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Summertime Porch View. . .



Do you see the Robin?
Two views, one at the front of the bird bath and one at the back.
I love to watch the robins in the bird bath.
They duck their heads right in and shimmer and shake all over.
Linking with Saturday's Critters.



California Heat
~
"YES . . . Hot is the word
but cooler yesterday and it should be the same today.
It was 117 on the patio a week or so ago..and I thought that was horrific,
but then just three days ago it was 120 out there.

It just plain cooked my plants.
I've tried to keep them sprayed to keep them cool
and it worked on some and not on others.

My pretty plums have been sunburned
and so has my pretty little Japanese Maple tree. 
The little tree is just crispy!

My front porch was full of birds . . .
I counted five hummingbirds and all sorts of other sparrows, and little finches. 
The five (second hatching) baby birds on the back patio
decided to leave on the hottest day. 
I am not sure how many made it. 
The parents were frantic . . .some were on the patio deck
which is stone and I had kept it watered to keep it cool. 

The bird house is on the patio in the shade
but it is up near the tin roof which was like an oven.
I've also tried to keep a bit of water in the gutter
out front of the house under the pear tree and pine tree for the birds
and both of my fountains are kept full of fresh water. 

It's pathetic to see so many birds with little open mouths
sitting around on top of the fountain trying to just stay alive. 

The giant pine cones fell in record amounts. 
We got scorched and I understand more is on the way this weekend."
~
It is hot in Michigan this weekend but nothing
like what they have had in parts of California.

A blogger friend who some of you might know
isn't posting as much as she used to.
I sent her a message asking if she was
having the horribly hot weather that has been in the news.
Thus, her answer above.
 
How kind she is to help her bird friends with fresh water.
Thought you might enjoy reading this message from Mona.
She gave me permission to share. 
~
I am keeping these words/thoughts in my heart this week
and even the weeks beyond.

liberty   peace   honor   independence   justice   respect    


10 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

oh, that extreme heat is brutal.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

I would find it difficult to dealwith that heat. stay is a cool bath I think would be good!!

Ohmydearests said...

your garden looks so beautiful and lush!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Lynne! Wow, you are having some hot weather there. We have not even had a day reach 90 degrees yet. The birds do pant with their mouths open, maybe their way of staying cool. I am sure they appreciate the water. Your garden and robin photos are pretty. I hope the hot weather pattern breaks for everyone! Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

This N That said...

The weather has been bizarre everywhere so I guess we can count our blessings..90 degrees a few days and a little (but not enough) rain..I have seen some panting birds even though we have been relatively cool..Lots of sunshine though and that sun is HOT!

Love your shady garden..beautiful..

Gail said...

It is good you have water out for the wildlife. I leave some low pans out too so the toads and lizards can drink.

We are hot and dry but grateful we are not on fire or flooded.

Kim said...

I can imagine what that kind of heat is like. I don't think I could live there...poor birdies.

Jeanie said...

I came home after four days at the lake and the garden is parched. I think when I return I'll need to take some of the plants with me. Still, many are hanging in there. It's supposed to warm up again later this week for the fourth. Be prepared!

Musings from Kim K. said...

Hot weather is back in the forecast for next week. I'll be in the water as much as I can. Your landscaping is beautiful. Happy soon to be July!

MarmePurl said...

Your garden is the very definition of serenity.