Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Soups's On . . .


This soup recipe belongs to Joan of Knit One, Raised Four.
  • Marme Purl

    She was given the recipe by a blogger friend named KAREN.

    Joan mentions her and the recipe below.

    It has been cooler here the past few days, although still summery.

    I was in the soup making mood.

    And this recipe was a winner.

    Mister Irish and I vote it

    OUTSTANDING

    I think he said, "it will be even better on a cool fall/winter day."

    ~

    I also made some changes,

    I used cheddar cheese instead of American and I diced all vegetables.

    I used half and half and did not add the sour cream.

    ~

  • Italian Sausage Soup

  • INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 pkg. hot italian sausage (most are a pound)
  • 1/2 lb. ground beef
  • 3/4 c. diced onion
  • 3/4 c. shredded carrots
  • 3/4 c. diced celery
  • 3 c. chicken broth
  • 4 c. diced potatoes
  • 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
  • 8 oz. American cheese, cubed
  • 1 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream (or half and half)
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1 tbsp. fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried
  • 1 tbsp. fresh parsley or 1 tsp. dried
  • 4 tbsp. butter, divided
  • 1/4 c. sour cream

DIRECTIONS

My good friend Karen gave me this recipe and said it would be perfect for a hearty meal at The Farm.

She was so right!

Below is the recipe as Karen gave it to me, but being the non-measuring,

use what I have on hand, dump it in and stir kind of cook that I am,

a few modifications ended up in my pot.

I used link sweet Italian sausage cut in bite size pieces, cheddar instead of American cheese,

diced the carrots instead of shredding and added a few dashes of cayenne to get a nice amount of heat.

I also just dolloped the sour cream into each bowl instead of blending it in the pot,

just because I thought it would look pretty.

In a 3 quart cast iron pot, brown the ground beef and sausage; drain set aside.

In the same saucepan, saute onion, carrots and celery

in 1 tbsp of butter until vegetable are tender, about 10 minutes.

Add broth, potatoes and meat; bring to a boil.

Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Meanwhile in a small skillet, melt remaining butter.

Add flour; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until bubbly.

Add to soup; bring to a boil.

If soup is not thick enough, make a slurry of cold water and flour; shake well so there are no lumps.

Add to soup and boil gently. Cook and stir 2 minutes, then remove from heat. Let cool for 5 minutes.

Add cheese, heavy whipping cream (or half and half), salt, pepper and herbs; stir until cheese melts.

Take sour cream and blend in a bowl so it is not so thick; blend sour cream into soup.

~

Let me know if you try it!

ENJOY

 

 

8 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

sounds and looks hearty!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Lynne! this soup sounds delicious. Especially on a cold winter day. Thanks for sharing the link and the recipe! Happy Wednesday, have a great day!

Summer said...

The soup looks so warming and delish ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

This N That said...

Sounds good for winter..Too hot for soup now :)

MarmePurl said...

SO glad it worked for you. I have made so many variations of this soup over time. Fun to be reminded of what the original plan was.
Happy eating Lynne and MR.IGH

Beth @ PlantPostings said...

Yum! Looks good. I will make a note of it for winter ideas. ;-)

Gail said...

Sounds and looks good.

I use no recipes for soup...just use the items I have. No one complains.

Sarah Huizenga said...

I love soups for the colder months, and always excited to find new recipes. This sounds yummy!