Pages

Saturday, February 6, 2021

The Birds . . .

 Many years ago when I was a young girl 
would go for long walks
often stopping at the local cemetery in the 
small Iowa town where I lived.  
A large pond rested in front of the grave sites.  
This pond became our favorite winter activity spot.
We skated for hours, 
warmed our toes in the little hut, 
watched our friends, (boyfriends) play hockey.

One thing I did, in all seasons, 
was to go for walks in this area
and often sit by/in a favorite tree I found, 
Listening and watching the birds became “my thing.”

Little did I know back then that this 
love of listening, watching, seeing 
would follow me through the years.  
I found a certain Peace when I 
brought myself to the birds.  

After high school, college, marriage, 
living in the small town of Baraboo Wisconsin, 
my love of the outdoors, listening, watching the birds returned often.  
Not so much identifying birds, more of the quiet, the sounds
and the peace I found in it all.  
We were fortunate to live in a very old majestic home
near the Baraboo River.
I would walk down back of our home to the high 
river bank and sit for hours listening, watching.  
It was about this time my mom gifted me 
with a Peterson’s Bird book. 
My interest began to stretch to identifying 
looking for, finding bird habitat.

Moving forward to our move from Wisconsin to Michigan, 
knowing no one in the area, my husband and I 
would often go on long walks and often
walk through the cemetery located in 
Montague, Michigan 
which led us to other roads and trails in this area.

We were in a rebuilding time of our life. 
new home, new area, new people, new experiences.

Our walks together sustained us, gave us time, 
to recognize this new landscape, 
birds and butterflies 
often flitting about on our walks.
I/we often mentioned to one another, 
“did you hear that sound, see that critter, look at that bird” 
ahhhhh yes, I am reminded of the peace we found together.  

Five years later, on a beautiful October day, 
my husband left to join friends to work out, go for a run. 
A few hours later our world turned upside down 
finding out my husband, our children’s dad, had collapsed 
and died of a massive heart attack. 
Minutes, days, weeks, months 
of shock, disbelief, sorrow.  

I would often sit by a window in our family room, 
or by the dining table near the patio window 
and deck leading into the woods. 
The birds came to visit in droves.
Chicadee, finch, cardinals, RedPoles, 
Blue Jays, juncoes, woodpeckers, 
Monarch Butterflies flitted about as well.  
Out came the Peterson book and I started 
to identify,  learn the names, 
and in some small way I found a “thread of peace.”

And now it is today, 
forty one years later 
and I am unbelievably sad
missing our little bunch of
golden furry fluff. 

Invited to go look for
Bald Eagles 
was a gift.  
I have seen pictures, followed rapture sites, 
walked woods and trails 
to catch an in person view of a Bald Eagle 
and not until February Third Twenty Twenty One did it happen.  
such a happy peace filled moment for me.

Reflecting Remembering 
Peace
~
until the next time
love
lynne










10 comments:

Marge in Michigan said...


Good morning, Lynne. I always love reading your posts...you write so beautifully! This one especially touches me as I do share your love of birds. I'm so very sorry about Snickers. Sending hugs!

Beth at PlantPostings said...

What a beautiful post, Lynne. Your words are wise and wonderful. I'm so sorry you had to go through the troubling times, but I'm glad your visits with avian friends have brought comfort. I must say, I find that same peace in that pursuit. You are probably much better at identifying them than I am, but I do appreciate them. The black-capped chickadees are my favorites, because they're so tame, and sweet and lyrical. Plus, they're with us year-round. Bless you, and enjoy your birding experiences! (Bald eagle watching is extra special!)

This N That said...

You write so beautifully..You and Bev have that ability and I envy it so..The gift of being able to put your thoughts into words is a treasure...Beautiful post..Made me sad..Hugs

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Lynne,

Such a tender, poignant post. A beautiful tribute to love and those we have loved and lost.

Nature is such a healer. In these challenging times, one senses that more people are finding peace in the natural world. There one can find the opportunity to reflect and take delight in the seasons and the tiny details that we often do not have the time or inclination to notice.

You write beautifully. It touches others which is a gift.

Retired Knitter said...

They say that time heals. I guess time does heal SOME things - but it does change our reaction to them. I have loved all my pets, but the one that managed beyond all measure to get deep deep deep into my heart was my son’s dog, Grimace. And he felt the same about me. My daughter used to jest that Grimace is confused about who he belongs to. Grimace thinks he belongs to grandma and just visits with my son! He has been gone now for about 5 years. My eyes still tear up when I think on him. And he is thought of every single day because he is my screen saver on my phone. His passing has not healed. And I let myself relive that love he had for me frequently. I personally think we pick and choose the sorrows that we allow to remain in our hearts. And as long as I continue to feel that pain - we remain connected in some way. And if I get to heaven and Grimace is not there - I’ll ask to go wherever Grimace is. My thoughts are with you.

Jeanie said...

The journey of healing after grief is a difficult one and a long one, often circling back, then moving forward again. I am glad you have found -- or re-found -- something that gives you beauty and even bits of joy. One step at a time, Lynne. I remember those days of a quiet house that is missing four feet sorely. Biggest hugs in your healing journey.

Michelle said...

Lynne, this was a beautiful post. Sad, but beautiful. Hard times are just that...hard.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

A beautiful well written and heartfelt post.




...I hope you saw my comment on FB on the loss of your precious girl Snickers. ❤❤

Angel charls said...

If you are getting frustrated and don’t know how to delete the Gmail account, you need to have basic advice and help so that you can get help to cancel your flight within a short span of time. It is very simple to know that you can really delete your account simply if you are getting bothered and you are not able to complete your task amazingly. At this, you have the only option is deleting your account and yes, it would be right if you might able to do this kind task without facing any trouble. Gmail account delete is the process in which you can understand all the above-mentioned information that would provide you amazing help and service in terms of making your complete tasks easily. Whenever if you want technicians help then you must dial Gmail Telefoonnummer, they are available 24/7.

Beside a babbling brook... said...

You have a lovely blog...

🌿🌷🌱🌷🌿