Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2020

Kids Food Basket . . .

A learning program it is getting to be as I try to navigate to create a post.  Right this minute I can’t find the icon to enlarge my photos so hopefully you’ll be able to live with the small size.  It used to be in the older program you could touch a picture and it would enlarge.  Not sure if this is still the case.  Thank you for staying with me, following along. I will be back soon.

love 

lynne

Kids Food Basket is a sack lunch program happening in Muskegon, Michigan, when some hunger issues were discovered in the classroom.  This past week I invited some friends over to my house to help me decorate paper food sacks.  Each bag holds a fruit, protein, veggie and a snack for a child to have something to eat after school.  Often some of the children would leave school for the day and then not have anything to eat until they came back to school the next morning.  I can’t even imagine, but true it is.  This volunteer program HAPPENED a few years ago and is happening in other Michigan communities as well.  So decorating the paper sacks with pictures and cheerful messages was our task for the day.  We decorated a hundred bags and my plan is to get together in October to decorate some more.  The photo flier below, tells a bit more about the program.  And the pictures that follow are of the bags we decorated.  









8 comments:

Shari Burke said...

How nice to decorate the sacks--that will be fun for the kids! When we were still in the US (Maine) I was heavily involved in the local food bank/food pantry/soup kitchen. They began a similar program there, filling backpacks for the kids to take home. It's so sad that such programs are even necessary, but since they are, I'm glad they exist!

Ida said...

The decorated lunch sacks are cute. - Just so you know when sizing pictures on the new blogger format. Look for the settings icon, click on that and you can make your pictures different sizes.

Jeanie said...

What a really good idea. I love your decorated sacks -- that's extra fun. The post looks nice. Getting the hang of it?

Bonnie said...

Lynne, I wish I were there to help you! What a wonderful program. Covid has affected so many who are food challenged. Hugs my sweet friend!

Beth at PlantPostings said...

What a wonderful program. Bless you! Your post looks great!

A Joyful Cottage said...

Very nice to give your time to such an important program, Lynne, and to involved your friends in a fun way. The bags are cute.

MarmePurl said...

Good for the kids that receive, GREAT for you to have friends to create with!

barb said...

It's so hard to imagine. Nice job ladies.