Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2021

I Can’t Hear You . . .

 HEARING AIDS
They work, if you wear them and if they are turned on.  

I often say, if you can’t laugh at yourself there is something wrong.  


I went for a covid test Wednesday.  
Walked up to the line, they motioned me to this gal, sitting behind a plexiglass screen.  
(Hard of hearing persons, (and others,) sometimes find it hard to hear 
what is being said behind the screen with a mask covering the face.)

She asked me a question. 
Oh dear, I couldn’t hear, glanced at “Mister Irish” 
and hollered, “what did she say, I forgot my hearing aids.”
(Eye roll and geeeezzzz.)

Gal asks something again, not sure what she is asking,
 “Mister Irish” hollers to me, 
“she needs your name, birthdate.”  
I shout my name and birth date to the gal.
Hard of hearing people 
and people who forget their hearing aids, 
sometimes talk really loud, like “shout!!”

This goes on back and forth, 
I keep apologizing, gal keeps telling me it is ok.  

I keep hollering at “Mister Irish” 
and he patiently HOLLERS to me what the gal needs.  

She asks me “can you hear me shouting”
“Yes” . . . I . . . smiled and said  “feeling nervous about the test!”
(I could tell I had made HER day!)


I go into the testing area . . . 
Nurse starts to explain the process!
Me, shouting, “I can’t hear, I forgot my hearing aids.”
Nurse shakes her head.
Test complete.
Look at Mister Irish shaking his head.
We go to the car.
Sit down. 
He says something.
Me, “what did you say, I can’t hear you,  I forgot my hearing aids?”
And then we lost it, we laugh, and then begin to laugh hysterically.  

We Go Home . . . put hearing aids on! 
“Mister Irish” is a saint!
(Yesterday I left the house with one hearing aid in one ear, not the other ear ) 
I really need help!
*****
‘til next time
love
lynne




6 comments:

Terra said...

Those six year olds have it right about laughing. I have hearing aids too, and Mister Irish is a blessing for you. Typically I would be on my own for an appointment like that, since I am a widow. So give that man an extra hug.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

I think your husband is a Saint Lynne. Good to laugh. I get out of here alive!!! Have a lovely weekend.

Kim said...

I agree, laughter is the best. This morning I told my husband a joke, but he missed the last word, and before I could say it again he was shouting words he thought I said at me. I was laughing so hard as it all unfolded, asking him if HE needed a hearing aid!! It's coming...

barb said...

Funny! I don't have hearing aids but do have trouble hearing with all these covid cover ups.
I did not receive your recipe, dang. My email is birdie@midstatesd.net. Thanks Lynne. I look forward to trying it. Would you believe I am trying sour dough. My starter is in the 5th day. Wish me luck...it looks fussy.

Marge in Michigan said...


Oh can I relate to your post, Lynne. I've worn hearing aids since 2003 and I have good days & bad days with them. I'm blessed with a hubby who mostly understands and helps when I'm in situations similar to yours, especially in these days of mask-wearing and plexiglass shields! Mr. Irish is a blessing for sure and when you both find the humor in your hearing loss that makes it all the better. Love this post, Lynne. Hugs to you!

Jeanie said...

This made me smile. I had a Covid test yesterday. One of my ears is again totally plugged with wax and it happened to be on the side of the car where the nurse was. So, I kept asking her to repeat. I don't have hearing aids but after that I'm pretty sure she thought I should!