Pages

Friday, February 28, 2020

Random Five . . .


 Random 5 Friday Day
1. Do you know anyone who has a February 29th birthday?  
So what happens, you only celebrate every four years or something??

2. I have had a really BAD cold, I mean REALLY.
Have you ever heard of a GOOD cold!

3. In 1999 I wrote letters to my grandchildren for them to open on the date 
I placed on the envelope.  I put the letters with their Christmas things and 
asked their parents to save them.  
I have heard from three of my four grandchildren in the past few months.  
I am thrilled someone passed that idea on to me years ago
I am writing letters this month, for them to open on my 100th birthday.  
This is a text I received from one of my grands.
“Hey grandma I read your letter you sent to me on December 25th 1999, and I loved it.
I think that is a really cool thing to do and it’s cool to see how things were
back then and how I acted and how I was.
Love you hope you and grandpa Jack are having a good day!”


3. Fish Fry’s start up tonight, 2/28.  
Do they happen in your “neck of the woods?”


4. Sunday we will raise our Irish Flag at our house for the month of March.
We let the neighbors know we celebrate the heritage of “Mister Irish!”

March 17th, The Muskegon Irish American Society
 will celebrate their 47th year of raising the flag in Muskegon.

5. I tried my first paczki on Wednesday.  
Not sure what all the fuss is about, just ok, my friend likes prune.
Guess giving up sweets for 40 days might be a plus.


I take this time of Lent to bring good will to others. 
Like “spring a few flowers” here and there!
~
Nancy Claeys Random 5 Friday
 https://iamtherural.blogspot.com/
~
thank you for visiting, commenting, being out there in the land
‘til next time
love 
lynne 

6 comments:

This N That said...

you have the greatest ideas... Sending those letters was perfect. I would never know what to say.When my first husband and I were divorced it was finalized on 29 February. I can only celebrate every four years!. I hope that cold is leaving you for better place...🤧😙

Marge in Michigan said...


What a great idea to write those letters to your grandchildren 21-years ago, Lynne. Three out of four answering them is EXCELLENT...and maybe the fourth will still surprise you.
Happy St. Paddy's month to Mr. Irish & you. I decorated the wood tree my son built for me a few years ago...I do for every special time of year. I recently bought a smiling leprechaun to add to the mix. He's a cutie!
Boo about your cold! Begone soon!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hi Lynne!

Here's my Five....

#1 I do know "twins" that had their birthday on the 29th - I went to school with them. It was always such a novel thing.

#2 I'm so sorry you have a "bad" cold. You are right, there's not such a thing as a good one, unless it's getting better! :-)

#3 I love the letter writing that you did! How wonderful that they have those letters to treasure! A few months ago, I came across a letter to me from my Grandmother in 1964. I was only 3, but it was a sweet little letter, and one I don't recall ever seeing. It was a true treasure to find, and there were other little letters to my siblings as well which I sent to them. She passed away later that year, so I wonder if they were written for us to remember her.

#3A - you had two 3's... I miss Friday Fish Frys! We loved them when we lived in Wisconsin all those years ago. I'm glad that some things don't change - They were really the best, and it's too bad we don't have them here.

#4 With everyone celebrating where they came from these days, I love the tradition of celebrating the heritage of “Mister Irish!”

#5 I've never tried a Pączki ... :-)

Enjoy your Sunday, take care and I do hope your bad cold is better!!

Karen said...

Hmmm - I don't know anyone with a February 29 birthday. When I was a kid, I thought that would be the most terrible thing! I am finally getting over a bad cold and nope - never heard of a good one. I am not familiar with that pastry - paczki? But - there are few pastries I don't like. I remember Nancy Claeys from a few years back when I was on my old blog. I didn't realize she was blogging again - will hop over and take a look!

Jeanie said...

That's how I feel about packis. They are fat bismarks, which is fine but what's the big deal. I love your letter writing and I might have to do that for Carson and Cam.

Michelle said...

I do know a wonderful couple that married on Leap Year. I think the world of them and appreciate their sense of humor for picking that date.